Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chapter 1~The Anxiety blog

Since I haven’t really blogged in some time, there is a lot to blog about so I will break up the different things that I will be blogging about in different blogs.  Seems like it would be easier to read and skip over the stuff if necessary.  Not everyone wants to read about how the cats are doing or how my allergies are ;-).


I mentioned a while ago that I was having anxiety and started taking St John’s Wort (SJW).  Now when I say "anxiety" I'm not referring to simply being anxious on occasion but to having a physical reaction to the stressors of my life.  Here is a link to better explain the symptoms http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/anxiety-attack-symptoms .  Why am I blogging about this, you may ask?  Maybe this blog might help someone that might be experiencing something similar to myself.  I will be providing helpful links that have been useful for me since it has been well over ten years since my last attack.  At that time of my last episodes of anxiety attacks, I had friends and family around that were there to help me even if they weren't aware that they were because I simply didn't talk about it that much.  However, things have changed and I find myself separated from friends and family so instead of having the source of comfort from friends I have to work through it alone.  For those that find themselves separate from friends or family, they need to find that comfort in themselves and understand that they can work through these anxiety attacks, it's just a matter of realizing what is happening and taking control of the situation which means "riding the attack out".

When I was having the anxiety attacks before, it was completely random when I would have them.  I'm not sure what was setting them off.  It would be when I was at home, at the store and at work (although work was where it all started so that makes sense).  When I would have the attacks then, I would call my boyfriend and he would talk me down or come over and comfort me until it would subside.  If I was with a friend, we would talk until it dissipated.  Eventually the anxiety attacks became weaker and I was able to "ride them out" and then eventually they simply stopped happening.

Last year, I believe I had my first anxiety attack in years.  It decided to manifest itself while I was on the freeway in the fast lane.  It had been so long since I had had one that I didn't recognize the symptoms and totally freaked out.  Almost passing out on the freeway would make anyone want to freak out.  I had several intermittent attacks as the year progressed.  During this time my financial obligations has increased well past my means and have remained currently.  My life financially and personally is my stressor and for what ever reason every time I drive, I have an anxiety attack.  Now, not everyone will have the same stressor or the same exact symptoms as myself but what ever way you look at it-it sucks.  Sitting in traffic trying having an anxiety attack, oh yeah....super fun.  Good times.

Now, I had taken SJW before for depression and I did some looking around and found that it can work with anxiety symptoms as well.  I have been taking STW for several months now and although the STW is helping with the depression that I had been experiencing it hasn't really removed my anxiety attacks completely but it makes them more manageable. This is fine, but when sitting in traffic it would be easier to find a way to alleviate the anxiety attacks when they start and get the symptoms under control.  I did some searching on the interwebs and found there are other techniques that can help alleviate the symptoms of an anxiety attacks that can temporarily help when really needed.

I did research to find different techniques that might help with the hyperventilating.  I ended up find a very helpful website with a video demonstrating the “belly breathing technique” that helps counteract the shallow breathing that tends to happen with anxiety attacks  http://www.anxietycoach.com/breathingexercise.html .  The website speaks about Panic Disorders but this certainly helps with anxiety as well. 

I know that the website is some guy trying to sell something, but let me tell you-it helped.  Most of my anxiety attacks are breathing related.  The website describes it perfectly.  I don't exhale and I don't even realize I'm doing it.  It sucks.  Something else that also helps with anxiety attacks that might be useful for others is "pressure points".

I found several useful references for which sites would work best for alleviating anxiety and making it easier to breath and feel at ease.  The first one was  http://www.chinese-holistic-health-exercises.com/reflexology-for-anxiety.html .  Since most of my anxiety attacks come on when I'm in my car, I will only be using the upper extremities.  Yeah, no pressure points on my feet while driving, please!  The second helpful site was  http://www.stop-anxiety-panic-attack.com/blog/acupressure-for-anxiety.  Personally, I find the wrist, ears and neck to be helpful with the anxiety symptoms when driving.  The neck (Heavenly Pillar) is the most effective with the breathing while driving although it looks like you are talking on the phone while driving so keep an eye out for CHP that might pull you over for it ;-).

Besides SJW there are other herbal remedies that can be useful to help alleviate anxiety symptoms which I have listed in the links below.  I also have seasonal allergies and there is drug interactions with the SJW and Claritin, which I take.  The SJW reduces the efficacy of the Claritin and other antihistamine so be prepared to have elevated symptoms if you start taking it.  And since I have problems with breathing during an anxiety attack, this doesn't help~but I manage.  Well, that is all I have to add for now on this topic.  I hope that eventually my symptoms with dissipate and I will feel "normal" again because having these attacks suck and really are disruptive at times even with the SJW and alternate helpful cures.  It has taken the joy out of driving and I actually like driving.  Well, actually my current situation has kind of taken the joy out of everything, but I hope I can pull through it pay everything off, shake off this anxiety, be able to afford to do stuff again and get my life back.  I would like to feel like I am alive and not some slave stuck in a loop of work.  To feel whole again.  I know that when one problem is solved the others that are attached will begin to dissipate-at least I hope so since everything seems to be connected!  Yeah, I'm not looking for any sympathy and I'm not big on throwing pity parties. My goal it to get through this and I aim to succeed :-).




Keep in mind if you have a medical condition you should consult your physician to confirm the diagnosis and make sure that you are getting the correct treatment for the condition.  This should be the general rule for any health condition one may have.

More links for acupressure:

No comments:

Post a Comment